Q. In your opinion, what is critical mass for the Word Chunk Team Game? I need 3 judges, right? Will the activity work if there are only 2 or 3 teams of 3?
A. I like the big classes for the game. That way the teams don’t get in each others’ faces. I would say to have groups of two to get as many teams going against each other. In small classes you can actually have one judge to do all the jobs. It would have to be a left out kid with lots of unrecognized talent but it would work.
CI and the Research (cont.)
Admins don’t actually read the research. They don’t have time. If or when they do read it, they do not really grasp it. How could
4 thoughts on “WCTG Question”
I’ve done a few adaptations and borrowed from others of this classic.
1) After I am done saying my sentence, I count down 3,2,1,0 then ALL members of a group have to raise their hands. This is the huddle time and ALL students have to share out the answer.
2) I say that students have to “RESPECT the job” of the student who is choosing groups and deciding if a team was synchronized with their gesture.
3) I have my judges get all teams on the board–or at least the opportunity to answer. I say “let’s get these other teams on the board” I dont care if the students hear me say it.
4) I say this game is a game of cooperation not competition.
5) I may assign groups because many times in my school the competitive kids get together and the slower processors get together and it can get hopeless for others.
are there any good video clips of difft teachers doing WCTG in their classes? If so PLEASE post.
There is Tina’s on Youtube I believe. I really got to film myself.
Steven, if you happen to find the Tina WCTG link will you please post it here?