Classroom Management and the StarChart™ – 2

In my previous post on classroom management I said that the two things that I’ve concluded about this vastly ignored topic are to (1) use the StarChart™ well in all its detail to KEEP THEM ENGAGED and (2) understand narcissistic behavior the moment it comes up in all its various dark forms in our students and REACT WITH STRENGTH IN THAT MOMENT WITHOUT IGNORING IT. 

I added in a note to Sean that I don’t even consider my much-vaunted Classroom Rules – which are used in some form in thousands of classrooms – in that equation. Those rules, which I now consider outdated, are not nearly as effective as those first two things. 

Of those two new definers of CM, my new position on CM is that the StarChart brings 95% of the classroom management and being aware of narcissistic behavior in our kids is 5% of the deal in classroom management.

Here some voice trapped in old thinking likely would say: 

Really, Ben? The StarChart is now the secret to classroom management? Really? Honestly, that statement seems kind of whack! Classroom management is separate from teaching. It is something that we DO to keep our kids in line because they need adult guidance in how to behave in our classrooms. There is CM and then there is our instruction and they are two separate things!

I respond to that voice that is trapped in stinking old thinking:

No. The CM of the future in our field is going to be 95% student engagement and the other 5% is going to be stopping all narcissistic behaviors in the moments that they happen in our classes. Listen to me: CM and our instruction are NOT SEPARATE. The reason that we have not had success with CM in the past in the TPRS/CI movement is that we have been using the old model of CM, which has them as separate. 

(to be cont.)

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Search

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe to Our Mailing List

No spam, notifications only about new products, updates.

Related Posts

CI and the Research (cont.)

Admins don’t actually read the research. They don’t have time. If or when they do read it, they do not really grasp it. How could

Research Question

I got a question: “Hi Ben, I am preparing some documents that support CI teaching to show my administrators. I looked through the blog and

We Have the Research

A teacher contacted me awhile back. She had been attacked about using CI from a team leader. I told her to get some research from

The Research

We don’t need any more research. In academia that would be a frivolous comment, but as a classroom teacher in languages I support it. Yes,

$10

~PER MONTH

Subscribe to be a patron and get additional posts by Ben, along with live-streams, and monthly patron meetings!

Also each month, you will get a special coupon code to save 20% on any product once a month.

  • 20% coupon to anything in the store once a month
  • Access to monthly meetings with Ben
  • Access to exclusive Patreon posts by Ben
  • Access to livestreams by Ben