So this new class sequencing (a combined version of the very best ideas from the past two years of discussion here and which now includes the Invisibles) looks like this (in my own TPRS world):
- Read and Share (10 min.)
- Story (writing it out at the same time) (30 min. – note that I find it imperative to keep stories short these days, no more than 30 min.)
- ROA (but only steps 5-7) (30 min.)
- Story Quiz (5 min.)
- Dictée or Free Write (10 min.)
- Word Association/Word Chunk Team Game (30 min.)
- The Class Poem (15 min.)
- Textivate is always there as a fine option.
- Grammar instruction in the traditional way is also a fine option. I love grammar so much and when I feel the kids are a bit on the rambunctious side I can calm them down with this marvelous sleep-aid.
This is 2 hours and 10 minutes, roughly. It’s a sequence lasting about two block classes, but if all the campers are happy and full of KoolAid, it could go three.
This plan, which of course includes the addition of the Invisibles into the story creation process and now the new writing-the-story-while-it-is-being-created idea, is rocking my CI world.